Learn Why Job Descriptions Are Essential For Overall Effectiveness At Your Firm
Updating and writing job descriptions are one of the most effective employee communication tools for managers, hr personnel, and prospective employees. Job descriptions are beneficial to both an employee and your firm. Employees will understand what is expected of them and how they will be evaluated.
A job description provides consistency and clarity for everyone involved.
Creating job descriptions results in a thought process that will help your firm:
- Establish the role that each position plays in attaining the overall firm goals
- Determine how critical each job is
- Decide how positions relate to each other in the firm
- Define current employee roles and identify the characteristics and skill base needed
- Attract qualified new candidates and aide in hiring
- Evaluate performance accurately based on the expectations of the position
Each job description should include the following components:
- Job Title
- A summary statement– two or three sentences describing and summarizing the purpose or objective of the position.
- Functions and responsibilities of the position- details of what the job entails. Include details about all roles the employee will hold including any supervisory roles and the reporting structure. An important feature to include in a job description is “other duties as assigned.” By including this in a job description, the employer can add new tasks when the need arises.
- Skills and qualifications- list the required attributes and education needed for the position & insights into how they match the culture of your organization.
- Evaluation methods- identify what is most important for the employee and the organization. Include details on when evaluations will take place.
- Compensation- provide a concise view of how the employee will be compensated broken down into base salary, benefits, and other investments in the employee such as training. Listing a range instead of a specific figure will give you more flexibility. If applicable, include information about how employees are eligible for advancement within the range, sales commissions, bonuses, and annual raises.
- Work Location and Schedule- include the physical location, days & hours, vacation and/or PTO structure, & potential overtime that may be required.
- Employment type- full-time / part-time, temporary, employee, or contractor.
Ironstone will help you develop quality job descriptions and identify important gaps that you may be missing in each description. We will collaborate with you, and execute a solution to help you get the results you are looking for. We will work with you in creating detailed goals that go deeper than the surface.
Do you value clear, up-to-date job descriptions at your company? How is your current system working? We want to hear from you! Let us know! Contact us for assistance in starting and improving your firm’s job descriptions.
Follow us as we explore each of Ironstone’s Fundamental 4™!
- Strategic Planning
- Business Development
- Operational Effectiveness
- The Human Element
You won’t want to miss our next in the series: Strategic Planning-Incentive Plans!
- Email us at Office@IronstoneHQ.com
- Call our office at 800-917-8020
- Follow us on twitter @ https://twitter.com/#!/AndreaSchlapia
- Join us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IronstoneCommunications
- Connect with us on LinkedIn @ http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=29647364&trk=tab_pro